Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ni Nengah Sari, Songan, Bali

Sponsored for Education through INTERNATIONAL HUMANITY FOUNDATION (BALI CENTER)


Ni Nengah Sari 
Birth date: February 17th, 2000

She is a shy girl. She follows his big brother to go to school every day. She has to walk around 4 kilometres everyday from his home to the school. She likes school. His father is an uneducated farmer who has not land. He has to go outside from the village if it's dry season to get every penny, so he can feed his family. The mother is a house mother. Sometime she helps her husband to work in the farm.



Sari's Letter, June 2011

On the visit last May 2011, I asked Sari "What do you want to be when you grow up?". Being the shy girl that she is, she went quiet and did not answer my question. On this letter, she answered my question.


Sari's Last Letter to me, July 2011


Following this letter from IHF: 
"Dear Dina,

Following your visit to Songan personally - the following e-mail will be particularly important to you. We have reached a conclusion with Songan which took a lot of deliberation, including lengthy discussions with IHF's CEO, Carol. We took all of the fantastic feedback that you provided to us and began to apply it to our operation but then, after evaluating everything, we concluded that IHF's operation in Songan is no longer as essential as when we first began there."

 I knew that I will not see Sari anymore as my sponsorship will be transferred to another girl. It's always sad to say goodbye. It was always my desire to see Sari grow up, to know that my sponsor has changed one child's life into betterment. I am sure that IHF has its own considerations and I'm sure that it is for the best. My only wish for Sari is that, I hope, she will make it as a doctor or whoever she wishes to be when she grow up. 

I was told that in french language, you hardly say 'adieu' even to a stranger you merely encounter on the street. Instead, you say 'au revoir', see you again - because we never know. 

In this departure from Songan Village, it is an 'au revoir' to Songan Village for me because we never know.  Maybe one day, I will visit the village again just to look around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment